Friday 3 September 2010

To Berlin we go

Apologies for not updating sooner guys, but it has just been such a busy last week for us to finalise all the last bits. Not only did we have to plan this amazing trip but we have to move all our homely goodies into storage......well enough of that let me tell you how the trip is going.
We departed really early Wed morning 01 Sep 6am.....but got up at 4am(mad i know)......not quite sure what happened to the 2hours , but we figured as we were making our way to Dover that we packed waaaaaaay to much, and boys you will be happy to know it had nothing to do with me.
So we finally got to Dover at 7h30, to a passport control that just allow you to pass through without even checking any documents or stopping you at all. Even this did not help us much with the ferry having to depart at 07h30am, we were asked to take the next one at 08h30.....oh dear.
We then stopped in the queue with other bikes which made the trip even more real. I then decided to get us some hot drinks just before we got on the ferry not knowing that as i walked outside ....all the other bikes had boarded and we were suppose to get onto the ferry riding our bikes with hot drinks........you calculate the problem....well as South Africans....anything is possible......so Lindsay managed to ride off with his hot drink no problem, however I’m still figuring out where to put my hot drink.....then i get this amazing idea to open my tank bag and slip it in the front. (Now for all you non bikers....my tank bag is a little bag that gets strapped to the tank of my bike therefore sitting in between myself and the handle bars).
Well very impressed with my idea i start off really slowly heading to the ferry when this truck pulls in front of me which then forced me to stop suddenly and yes you guessed it hot drink on my tank bag.......a little annoyed but laughing to myself at the same time.
We then reached Calais all excited and much warmer then chilly UK.......,getting off the ferry and Lindsay reminding me to keep to the left. We decided to stay off the toll roads and go the scenic roads.....which was great and i love ride through the country.....however when you over loaded and stopping go stopping go.....its not so exciting anymore. I had to remind Lindsay twice that he was on the wrong side of the road.......and a pedestrian almost ran into me....i say that because he ran though not realising that there was traffic in the road damn pedestrians.
Not doing too many miles on Wed meant we had to camp in Gent, Belgium....really great camp site, still really busy with holiday makers. We set up our tents......laid down for a bit......which was a bad idea...because we didn’t get up until the next morning.
When we got up the next morning, we quickly showered, had some left over dinner for breakfast (yummy)... and our aim for today was to get to Berlin. We had a long ride ahead....so we packed up and headed off.
In Germany at the moment in a little campsite off a main river ( Porta Westfalica ) we still have 220 miles to Berlin tomorrow . We met this couple cycling down the river camping every 50-60km over 15 days, the river is only about 800km long, but good to see others on little adventures too. Nothing much more to say about today other than the drivers in Germany are crazy and the speeds they drive are insane. Had a few hair raising moments.....but nothing to write about.Just really difficult when riding at 120km/h to judge someone travelling at twice that speed for overtaking.
Oh...i can’t forget not to mention, we had to stop off at McDonalds in Germany....apparently they taste different in different countries.....I’m still wondering if that was Lindsay’s way of saying he needs McDonalds....well it was a first for me.....really it was a first for me. I have never had McDonalds before.....always a first time for everything.
Night night guys and a further update is soon to come

No comments:

Post a Comment